Are you feeling stuck in your life? Do you focus on your problems instead of the solutions? Do you feel powerless to change your circumstances? Have you stopped believing that you will ever be happy? These are signs that you may need an attitude adjustment.
Negativity weighs us down. Sometimes we surround ourselves with negative people who drain our energy. Very often it’s our own negative thoughts that are the problem. We can get stuck in the habit of seeing life as empty instead of full. Even if you feel empty, accepting this allows it to take root in your psyche, and it becomes a deeper truth or reality. You might have heard the Proverb … “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” This is actually scientifically true, and if we come into agreement with feeling negative and empty, it becomes us.
We are all here to fulfill our purpose. We need to be in the right state mentally, physically and emotionally in order to accomplish what we were born to do. Where you are in your life at this particular time is exactly where you are supposed to be. Every obstacle and challenge that you face is placed before you to help you grow.
So rather than blaming yourself, someone else, or the situation for your misery, make a choice to adjust your attitude. Here are some suggestions on how to do this. Some of them will take a little time and practice. Others will only take a moment.
Ways to Adjust Your Attitude
1. Focus on what you already have that you are grateful for. It’s hard to be unhappy when you are thinking about what is good in your life and you have an attitude of gratitude!
2. Focus on short term and long term goals, and start taking steps to accomplish them. Don’t just talk about what you want. You must take action. Even if you are only able to take a small step, it’s still a step in the right direction. You need to keep moving forward!
3. Choose carefully who you surround yourself with and spend time with. It’s easy to absorb things from our environment. While you may not be able to eliminate everyone who is negative in your life, you can choose to spend a limited amount of time with them. We need to have supportive people in our lives who lift us up rather than put us down. Many times we justify this to ourselves in hopes that WE will be the positive influence in their lives. However, too often we end up absorbing their negative energy in the process and losing our positive direction in our life.
4. If it’s your own negative thinking that is bringing you down, then work with positive affirmations. Affirmations are stated in the present tense as if they are already true. For example: “I have a peaceful, focused mind.” “I am open to receiving abundance.” “I love myself as I grow into my full potential.” Even if you don’t quite believe it, start telling yourself that you are successful, happy, and at peace. Over time you will believe the positive truth rather than the negative, false truth. Many uninformed parents have sadly done this and branded a child’s mind with this negative energy. So it takes a lot of positive affirmations to reprogram our mind in the right direction. Just as you exercise to strengthen your body, make saying affirmations part of your daily routine.
5. Hardships are a necessary part of life. Look for the lesson and the gift hidden in the problem. If it isn’t something you need to experience, it wouldn’t be happening. The bigger the obstacle, the greater the gift! C.S. Lewis said, ” Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.”
6. Focus on solutions rather than problems. Don’t look at what has gone wrong in your life. Problems are negative. Solutions are positive! You can’t create the future by clinging to the past. Learn from the past, and then let it go. Move forward with a purpose and a plan to create the life you want.
7. Make a decision to be positive. It may seem like your mind is as out of control as a runaway train! But you have the power to choose your thoughts. Having a positive mental attitude is necessary in order to be successful. It means you have to be aware of where you are putting your attention. When you realize you’re having negative thoughts, choose to take control over your mental state. With practice it becomes easy to change the channel. You need to be tuned in to a positive frequency in order to attract what you want.
8. Stop fighting with yourself! If you look carefully, you’ll see that whatever the circumstance, it’s your reaction to it that is causing you distress. We can be our own worst enemy. Let go of the struggle. Even if you are in the habit of reacting with fear and negativity, you can change this pattern. You can start by treating yourself with kindness, patience and love as you learn and grow into your best self. Many of us have heard the phrase “Let go and let God.” There is actually a lot of truth in this saying because as long as we GRIP the problem, we can’t allow ourselves to release it.
You are not destined to be miserable! You have the power and the ability to change what isn’t working for you. The life you want is within your reach. You just need to shift your perception. It really is much easier to change something within you than to change the people, places and things that are problems for you. Take a step right now to show that you are ready, willing and able to have the attitude necessary to live the wonderful life you were born to live. Over the years I have found that many people need help developing more specific ways to reprogram their negative thoughts. As always, it is an honor for me to help you with this process.